Did you know that millions of people fly every year with a desire to chase after new opportunities? It is not only tourists who have this desire. Tourism is only a part of why many foreign nationals wish to fly. Other people may wish to stay in the country for longer periods. Others may even apply for the renewal of their visas just to stay in the country longer. They may even be willing to shoulder the high corporate tax in Singapore to stay a little longer. A smaller percentage may even settle down in the country.

Foreign nationals moving to the city-state is a boon for Singapore. They not only pay taxes, but they also bring their skills, knowledge, and experience which can benefit the country’s economy. Emigrating to a new country is not for the faint of heart: They have to go to an unfamiliar country and learn how to deal with new cultures, languages, and people, to assimilate into a new country, a person has to relearn and retrace their steps from social cues to laws. They may have to start over from scratch and build an entirely new social circle. They may have had to stay out of touch with their relatives and leave behind their precious possessions.

But for many people, doing this is worth it. Singapore is a land filled with many opportunities. But just because they want to go to Singapore does not mean they can stay there. Most people have to leave after their stay in Singapore. If they want to work and live in Singapore, then they will have to get an EP in Singapore.

An EP or employment pass functions as the visa of a foreign national in Singapore. It allows them the right to live and work in the country. Without this valuable document, they will not be able to stay in Singapore for a long time.

What are Singapore Visas?

You apply for a visa at least 30 days before your arrival in Singapore. A Singapore visa allows holders to enter the country, where they are checked by the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (or the ICA, the equivalent of immigration officers in the country). The ICA will decide if you meet the requirements for entry into the country or if you will be rejected.

Remember that just because you have a Singapore visa, does not mean that you will be allowed to enter the country. But if you meet the requirements, you will receive a Pass to enter the country and stay for the duration indicated in the past. If you plan on touring Singapore, you will receive a Visit Pass, and if you are in the country to work, you will receive an Employment Pass or EP in Singapore.

The vast majority of countries can freely enter Singapore without a visa (provided they are only there for short stays). However, the process may differ if you are applying for an employment visa.

What are Singapore EPs?

If you are aspiring to provide accounting services in Singapore (or any other talents that might be beneficial to the country) you will have to go through the process of applying for a Singapore Employment Pass. Singapore is one of the most highly-developed free markets in the country and has long been a tiger in Asia’s economies. Singapore has one of the highest salary rates, the best offers for job opportunities, and good business investments. That is why Singapore attracts so many people to apply for a Singapore work visa.

Many studies have shown Singapore’s high attractiveness to foreign workers. About 20% of the entire population is composed of foreign workers. That number equals around 1.5 million people. Whether you are required to get a Singapore visa or not, those who desire to work in the country get a Singapore work visa, also known as an Employment Pass. Depending on your type of work, your skill level, and other factors, there are different types of Singaporean work visas you can apply for.

Here are the different types of Singapore work visas you can claim.

1)    Singapore work visa for professionals

There are several passes under the professional work visa type. The most common one is the Employment Pass. EP renewal in Singapore is available to those who fall under managerial, executive, or professional roles. To qualify for an Employment Pass, one should make at least S$3,600 per month. You can also apply for a professional work visa if you are an investor. If you are a higher-earning individual, a personalised work visa is possible.

2)    Singapore work visa for skilled and semi-skilled workers

The rest of the skilled and semi-skilled workers fall under this sector. Mid-level skilled workers may get an S pass provided they earn around $2,600 a month. There are also work permits for performance artists and work permits for confinement nannies. Foreign domestic workers need to apply for their own worker’s passes. The way this is done may vary.

3)    Singapore work visa for trainees

Those who want to train in Singapore for 3 months or less may not need to pay a foreign worker levy. Those coming from certain countries under the Working Holiday Programme may also come to Singapore to experience working here.

4)    Singapore work visa for short-term use

Sometimes, foreigners will only work for a short period in Singapore. But the Visit Pass does not allow for work-related activities. Instead, they have to apply for a Miscellaneous Work Pass that lasts no longer than 60 days.

Paul Hype Page & Co provides many corporate services, such as payroll in Singapore. Learn more about how they can help you fix and organise your business so you can thrive.