Staying fit and healthy is vital for everyone, regardless of how old or young you are. However, as you challenge yourself into your limits, you would eventually get injured. You see, getting an injury can happen to anyone. It is not just for athletes. It can happen to you, your neighbour or colleagues. More so, it can happen anywhere at any time. Thus, when it happens, you would need to receive specialised care to speed up your healing process. That is what a sports injury specialist can help you.
So, what can you expect from a sports injury specialist? Let us find out.
What Is a Sports Injury Specialist?
A sports injury specialist is just a medical practitioner, but they specialised in sports medicine. In Singapore, most people prefer calling them as a sports medicine doctor. They help their patients move their body again through special training. It usually involves rehabilitation exercise and taking medication. Thus, you can expect it would last for months or years, depending on their patient’s condition.
What Should You Expect from a Sports Injury Specialist?
On your first visit at a sports injury clinic in Singapore, you can expect to discuss a lot of things about yourself, mostly related to your injury. Your answer will help the sports injury specialist to form a plan on how to treat your condition. Thus, be honest in answering all of their questions. Here are the possible topics you can expect that they will ask you.
- Sharing Your Fitness Routine
- Whether you are going to a gym or working out by yourself at home, you have to rely on how you do it. Sharing this information would help them determine what has contributed to your injury. Thus, to make sure they will be able to imagine your fitness routine, consider providing some photos or videos of you working out. Having these would help you as well in sharing on how you exercise.
- Letting Them Know How Much Pain You Are Experiencing
- A sports injury specialist cannot help you well if you do not let them know how you feel. You see, the level of pain you are experiencing would help them determine what dosage of painkillers you would need to take a day. Thus, when they press their hand onto your injury, never hesitate to say how much it hurts. Feel free to use examples to describe the pain.
- Describing How and When You Got Injured
- Aside from that, you might as well describe how you got injured. Even if that cause sounds embarrassing, you should not be shy sharing it. The way you describe it would help them determine how you would prevent it from happening again. In some cases, a sports injury specialist often found that the cause of sprains is because of having a flatfoot. Thus, to not let that happen again, they usually prescribe their patients to wear custom insoles to correct its form.
- Anticipate a Follow-Up Consultation
- Similar to visiting a medical aesthetic clinic in Singapore, a sports injury clinic also has follow-up consultation. It is necessary to have since doctors want their patients to get optimal results of their treatment. Thus, when the sports injury specialist tells when it is, keep that date in mind. However, if you are not available on that day, let them know so they could reschedule your appointment.
What Types of Conditions or Injuries Does a Sports Injury Specialist Treat?
Their treatment is usually related to musculoskeletal injury. It has something to with the rupture of muscles, ligament, tendons, and dislocated bones. Here are just some of the conditions they treat.
- Strain or sprain muscles
- Shoulder or Arm Fractures
- Rotator Cuff Tendonitis.
- Head Concussion
- Exercise-Induced Asthma
- Tension Neck Syndrome
What Does Your Sports Injury Specialist Should Know About You?
- Changes in Your Body Mass Index
- Either rapid weight loss or gain weight can negatively impact your athletic performance. When a sports injury specialist concluded there is something wrong in what you eat, they would most likely refer to a nutritionist. That way, your body would receive a sufficient amount of vitamins and minerals that would only improve your mobility.
- Mood Swings and Fluctuate Level of Libido
- These two may affect your BMI, but it can lose your drive to exercise. When it happens, you are most likely to get injured. To not let that happen, they would need to evaluate your fitness and food intake pattern. That way, they could think of a plan on how to balance your hormones.
- Past and Current Medication
- Aside from food intake, your medication might also be the cause of your injury. Some prescriptions may not suit your body anymore. Or perhaps your previous medication is only showing side effects recently. Whatever it may be, letting them know your medication would them perform a proper diagnosis about your condition.
What Should You Ask Your Sports Injury Specialist?
While you are in your appointment at a sports injury clinic in Singapore, you might as well ask some questions that you are not familiar with or about your treatment. More so, if they told you that you would need to get surgery for you to get well. Here are some of the few you might want to ask:
- Is it necessary to undergo surgery?
- What would happen after the surgery?
- Are there any complications?
- How long would the surgery take?
- How much money would I need to spend?
- Is stem cell treatment a viable option for my injury?
Do You Still Have Questions?
Hopefully, this article has helped you understand about sports medicine and what you can expect when you see a sports injury specialist. However, if you have more specific concerns about your injury or sports medicine, Thomson Wellth Clinic is always here ready to answer any questions. Feel free to drop your inquiry through their website today!